Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jensen 12" Electric Lighting Speaker



I also picked up one of these today. Greg at Recycled Sound (recycledsound.net) had a slightly used one for half price. I tested it in my Fender Super Sonic 112. A great sounding speaker. It's not yet broken in, so it's hard to compare to my Weber 12F150B that I'm currently using. I would say that it's a great effort by Jensen to combine that classic Jensen/Fendery tone with a modern speaker for high gain amps of today.



Rated to handle 70w, it's probably a better match than the Weber (rated for 50w) in my Super Sonic (60w). I need to break it in and then I can really get a feel for it.

That said, I did a test with both speakers connected and I really liked the balanced sound I got. Shimmering highs, deep lows. I think the Lightning filled in some of the mids that are cut from the Weber, but they really complimented each other. Very Fender sounding but with a bit of VOX-ish/Marshall-ish edge.


They sounded great pumping out Big Muff Fuzz and RAT2 Distortions. I played some Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, seemed to really fit both speakers quite well.

Another keeper and I think it will find it's way into an extension cabinet that I would like to get Lopo Line to custom make me...Maybe I'll get it for xmas? :)

UPDATE: 11/22/10
The EL speaker made it's way into my Super Sonic this weekend. I loved that Weber but the Electric Lightning is a perfect match for my amp. Jensen vintage tone but it can handle the blistering loudness that is a Super Sonic amp! Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment