Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Friday, October 28, 2011

"Life’s a journey, not a destination" or Practice, practice, practice

It works great when you do it, even though at the time it usually seems painful and futile. Unfortunately, I have not been doing very well at making the time for practice. By the time the evening is done, dinner is made, eaten and dishes are washed, kids to bed and settled in, there is little left of me to practice.

I think about it all the time. Every song I hear I mentally pick apart. But by the time I get down to play, it's gone, whatever inspiration I thought I had that would ignite my playing again, that impetus to start practicing more and more, AND more effectively. Promises, promises... all broken.

Without practicing there will be no way I can move this love of music and playing to the next level by playing with others. In my head I hear a symphony, or a great old song at the very least. But out of my mouth and hands comes hesitation and, frankly, drivel.


I know I have set the bar very high in my head, higher that I should but as with any goal, if it's too close, few will ever take the time or energy to actually reach it. It's supposed to be a struggle, it's supposed to be hard. All these things I know...yet none of that comforts me as I wonder what's it all worth, all this money spent on equipment, all these years of learning.

I'll tell you what, with that last little gasp of a light of inspiration I have left in me I can still see what it's all for: I want to perform for people, I want to sing, I want to play. I hope I can put a smile on some other music lovers face. Just for a moment in this life I truly want to rock!

I've long given up on the "rock star" dream every kid who picks up an instrument has early on. I know that's not a possibility, or even desired any more. I love my life and my family, I wouldn't give them up for the wide world. But the last dream I have since I was young was to perform. The least I can do is keep on trying!

Sorry for the boring post, fall is upon us, temps getting cooler, not much happening...yet I can't seem to practice and it's on my mind. So, here's hoping I get to practice and get better and achieve my goals...here's to everyone with a dream, may you all find the energy and inspiration achieve them!

No comments:

Post a Comment