Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it...I love GLEE!

I was hesitant at first to accept it, but it's really hit my inner "showtune loving" self right where it hurts...sentimentality!

I was fortunate enough when I was in high school to get into trouble, so much so in the 11th grade they asked if I could go to another school. I hated Bryant High School with the only exception being that I met and dated my future wife there, it was oppressive. Fairly standard mentality of rednecks: homophobe, xenophobe, ignorance, racism, etc. No one cared if you were bullied, or talked to/treated harshly by admins if you were outside the norm, even slightly. It was conform or go home.



I said I was fortunate to leave because I was able to go to a fabulous new concept school in Little Rock called Parkview Fine Arts Magnet. The school had been there since the 70s but the magnet concept was new to Little Rock. I have, our then first lady of the state now secretary of state for the US, Hillary Rodham Clinton to thank for spearheading the project in our state.

I had to audition in music to get in, there was a strict ratio of black and white students, everyone who went there truly WANTED to be there and there wasn't a bully or fight all year long. I hate that I only had one year to experience it!

But in that year I made many friends and was amazed the very first day I stepped foot inside. It was like FAME! (the movie) People, strike that, kids my own age dancing and singing, carrying guitars and instruments around, writing songs in the pit outside the cafeteria, torn jeans and mohawks (Jeff "Poodle" Wright, what a guy!) and much more. I had great teachers in english and speech/communications, as well has Ms. Farlow in music theory. I got to truly experience the fine arts through music, theatre and art. It was great!

I wish something like Glee had been around back then to give us all the ideas of what can be possible. I love that it's introducing a whole new generation to music I love, that's even before my time. AND that it's showing kids that they don't have to change who they are to be loved, they don't have to put up with being bullied and that it's okay to sing out loud!

I'm so proud that I get to watch the show with my two step-daughters! Their mother is not a fan of the show, so I get to have this opportunity with them. It's fun! We watch it together, when we can, and discuss things. Sometimes I'll pause it and tell them a little back story about a song (like during the Les Miserables part with Neil Patrick Harris in the 1st season). Or I'll stop and discuss some of the more risque topics and ask them how they feel about what they just saw. We learn about each other along the way while being hugely entertained...to the point that some shows we are all singing along with them or after, all the way upstairs while they get ready for bed!

Sure the show is a bit trite from time to time and uses HUGE composite characterization to make it's point, taking the show into truly a fantasy land, for entertainment purposes, it has to, I get it. But underneath it all, the show's creators seemed to have taken a long look into themselves, all about my age (40), and dished out all that oppression we face through our school years only to put it up, bigger than life on the small screen for all to see. THANKS guys! Keep up the good work! We'll keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment