Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Friday, September 2, 2011

“I believe the children are our are future, Teach them well and let them lead the way”


Nothing makes me happier than sharing the love of music with kids! I was so happy when I met my wife again after 22 years (we dated in high school) and her two girls, that she played guitar and Corey, the youngest, played violin. I felt good knowing I was involved with people who loved music. Rachel, the oldest, had an appreciation for music but just what she heard on the radio. I think she didn't know she could play something. So we encouraged her to pick an instrument. After a while we helped her make the decision, “how about drums?”

So a year after we bought an electronic kit and getting her started in lessons with the great Rocco Blake at Carolyn’s Keyboards (where at the time, Stacey, Corey & I all took guitar, uke and sax lessons) we decided it was time, if Rachel could prove to us she was ready, to get her a "real" set.

Her proof was getting more engaged with her lessons, requesting from Rocco to learn Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now”& “Run to You” drum parts. Rocco found a set that was being sold by one of his customers, a gentleman that has been playing for many many years, that was in near perfect condition. A 6pc. Gretsch Catalina Birch kit with Evans heads, Zildjian cymbals and hi hats.

She loves them! She immediately got on them and rocked out on them! She seemed to come alive....

and that makes me happy for sharing my love of music. Even if I never get as good playing as I'd like, I know that Corey, with her saxophone in school band, picking up the bass occasionally now, and Rachel with the drums and whatever good times are ahead for them both playing, I hope they find happiness, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment