Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mr. Lucky

Since the 80's I've enjoyed Chris Isaak’s music. I've owned several albums over the years as well, Forever Blue being one of my top-5 all-time favorites!



I was thinking about how much I enjoyed his TV show on Showtime in the early 2000's. Particularly an episode that featured Lisa Loeb (another favorite). Unfortunately the show is not available to purchase or download.

So lately, not getting to watch those shows, I've been re-listening to his discography and acquired any albums that I didn't already own. During that, I found the album Mr. Lucky, from 2009, that I had somehow missed.

It shows that Chris still has it, never lost it and is more congenial than ever. His songwriting abilities may border on simplistic but they are emotionally charged and effective.

Currently in my life, I'm in love, happy and very lucky for all that I have, but it's not always been so. I've heartbroken, abused and kicked to the curb in my life, as I'm sure so many have. But I never let it stop me from learning from it, pick myself back up and get on with the game. I can credit Forever Blue with consoling me during those times in 1995 after the dreaded Rosemary forsook my love and became the moral-less black hearted tramp that she will always be, you know, deep down inside. She may be a new mom, married to a guy named Will Dixon living in Fayetteville trying to have a normal life, but I know, I know... she is still that same honk nosed harpy that she has always been. Just a matter of time until she strikes again. Thankfully I have so much love in my life, it won't affect me! :)

That all said, I promise the hurting is over but the memory of what that person was capable of doing to me will never fade. I sense that either Chris Isaak has had this happen, or he is a very astute observer of the human condition and/or has a great imagination. I wouldn't have made it without him.

Which brings me to Mr. Lucky. Listening to the opening track “Cheater’s Town” makes me think that “Holy Shit! Chris Isaak dated Rosemary, too!” He must have, it pegs her! ha ha

I'm not so naive to think that this type of person doesn't exist everywhere throughout all of time, and it comforts me to know that I'm not alone, that others have felt this pain and knows what it does to you. He just has the talent and good sense to write about it, sing it and make me jealous that I never did the same!

Cheater’s Town, not the best recording but best I could find.


No comments:

Post a Comment