Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

UPDATE: Stands, Keys, Teachers, Music, Strings, Boating...

I ended up purchasing a standard double-X style stand by On-Stage Stands.

Easy, cheap, sturdy enough for one keyboard. The 2nd tier is terrible, as I'm starting to realize with all keyboard stands, they just can't get the upper tiers right for my needs. So I give up, I'm using the stand for my Korg SV-1 with it's music stand and that's it! I rearranged my keyboards into more of an L shape that allows me to play left hand on my 2nd keyboard.

Which brings me to new keys:
  I bought a Roland RS-9 from my local guitar center. It was mislabeled as an R59 and priced way under value! A nice 88 key design from 2001. 500+  patches, fairly standard Roland sounds. Great key action, better than I ever expected. But this thing is LONG! Taking up almost 60 inches of desk space. It is just too big. I occurred to me right after getting it home, it would have to go. Plus it whet my whistle for a board that had more options with rhythm and sequencing abilities, a larger LCD screen and more expandable options.

So on ebay it went and 24 hours later it was sold to a nice lady from Canada (by way of New York shipping!) and I placed my bid on a Roland Juno-G workstation.



The Roland Juno-G Workstation
One of Roland's latest Juno namesake creations (actually out in 2006 but still in production under system version 2). Reviews of this unit are very mixed. Most say the LCD is flaky, the keybed is not the best example of Roland quality. But most agree it's a powerful workstation that is fun to use, has great sounds and expandable, forgiving it for it's misgivings. I know I'll miss the keys on that RS-9, they were great! Too bad you can't get all the things in one keyboard, but it's probably for the best seeing how my Korg's weighted keys are very heavy and my fingers are used to more pressure anyway.

I've downloaded 10+ pdfs that cover everything from start up to indepth instruction manuals for it. I think it's going to take quite a while for me to learn this thing! Plus I've promised my wife I'd stop here for a while, no more purchases, at least large ones. It's time to start having fun, learning.

Which brings me to Kathy Cooper Studios 501-612-9904. Kathy is my piano teacher, recommended by our daughter's drum teacher and well regarded as one of the best in Central Arkansas. She's also good people! I enjoy my lessons with her, as a musically inclined adult, for her flexibility with me. I tend to jump all over the place trying to figure out what I want to learn and how. Let alone all the bad habits I've picked up over the years! Plus my life is so busy with my family that is still so new to me and my life. When I was a bachelor, I had hours upon hours and lots of energy to practice and play nightly. Not so anymore, so I take practice when I can and do the best I can. If you or someone you know is interested in lessons, please do not hesitate to give her a call, email or subscribe to her blog.

Currently I'm working on learning Lady Antebellum's “Need You Now” since my oldest step-daughter came home telling us she wanted to learn the drums to it. I thought I'd learn the song so we could eventually jam together. But during the process of trying to figure out what I want to learn on the piano, I had to do some soul searching and remember that although this is my journey, it's important to share it with those that I love and learn songs that others like. One of my favorites has always been Van Morrison’s Moondance & Someone Like You. Two great jazzy piano pieces that just feel good to play and sing. Slowly but surely, since getting an account at Sheet Music Plus and getting the properly printed manuscripts to learn from, I'm getting there. I'm inspired again...

But then that only kicks up my “multi-tasking” and I just want to learn to play every instrument I get my hands on! I love playing Ukulele, Guitar, Piano, Tin Whistle, Bass, I'd love to learn to play Dulcimer, Drums and start songwriting and singing more, recording and then eventually doing some live performances working with other musicians. I hope that happens someday in the future. I feel like I have a long way to go, but I'm going to keep on playing!

Fender Malibu Acoustic
I have long wanted a small easy to play acoustic that sounds good, plugs in, built in tuner, unique looking and not too expensive. I own the larger version of this called the Fender Kingman now. It's a decent and unique looking/playing guitar that didn't cost me much, but more of a strummer than a player. Finally I found a very rare version of the Fender Malibu, Korean made in 2005, it has solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and a mahogany neck. It's more solid wood than the newer Chinese cheapo versions. I got it for cheap due to the bad reputation they have now. BUT this little guitar sounds and plays great! I totally took a chance on it and have been happily surprised!

Boating

After a life of boating, growing up on boats, summer family trips to the bahamas every year when I was a child, often on our own boat crossing the gulf stream, weathering storms... then to 1998 when I purchased my first boat, a 1983 Catalina 25 sailboat that I completely restored... now to the boat just purchased with my new family, a 1998 Bayliner 2452 Express Cruiser, I'm back on the water!

I originally wanted to buy one back in 2006 but it didn't work out financially at the time. It did this time. But be warned, buying a boat, especially a power boat, is not for the feint of heart! No matter now nicely cared for the vessel appears or how much the previous owner says they have done... it will frustrate you and it will cost you!

The good news is, though, during all of that, the joy you get from boating is immense! AND worth it all! The smiles on the girls faces, the laughter of my wife as she learns to helm and dock, my pride of having a great looking vessel that offers not only fun but safe haven from sun and elements, that can protect my family if needed and get it us there and back.

I miss sailing and it's simplicity, and maybe we'll end up back on a sailboat someday, but for now, it's good to be back on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment