Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Monday, June 20, 2011

"I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!" – Queen

A couple of years ago, I thought it would be nice for all of us to buy new bikes and start riding as a family. We had a couple of false starts (i.e. one teenager didn't want to get a proper geared bike and couldnt' keep up or didn't want to be "seen" with us, ha ha). But this time, in our new house surrounded by nicely paved trails, we're making it happen.

I bought a Trek Pure Deluxe in 2009 thinking I wanted a cushy seat, relaxed riding position. I never bonded with the bike, didn't feel like I had any pedaling power with it either!

So earlier this year, I decided I'd like us to try riding again by getting me a proper bike and something for our teenager that she would like but also be able to keep up with us on.

Turns out she loves my Trek Pure (it's orange, her favorite color!) and I found that a more road style bike suited my needs better.

So, I got a 2011 Trek 7.2FX, thanks to the wonderful folks at Chainwheel. Love it! So easy to ride and I really feel I have all the power I need. I also got some toe straps to go with it. This is another great advantage for me as I can add to my pedaling power on the upstrokes as well!

So as we went out riding as a family (me on my FX, my wife on her Trek Navigator, the girls on their Trek Pures) my wife continually was getting left behind. At first we all thought maybe it was her just getting used to riding again, then she started to think she was more out of shape than she thought, but it turns out, her bike is just too heavy, tires too small to keep up with all of us!

So I went to my favorite bike shop here in Little Rock, Chainwheel, talked with Bruce, one of the co-owners. He had some great advice and helped me find my wife a new bike for her.

It's also an FX (fitness) bike. The 2010 Trek 7.2FX WSD. I knew she would love it because it's the same color as her Mini Cooper S! It's in my car right now, but she has yet to give it a try...with her schedule and working too far away from the shop to make it in during their hours, they gave me the guarantee: buy it, if she doesn't like it for any reason, bring it back!

I can't recommend Chainwheel enough now. They have great people, excellent service and fair pricing.

So go get on your bikes and ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment