Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Monday, January 24, 2011

Don't let anyone tell you that your choice of Pick doesn't matter!



I've had a set of these since last year when Dunlop sent me a gift package of a tshirt, strings, stickers and about 100 picks. I have been playing Star Picks pretty exclusively for a while now but decided to go through them and try some options.

I tried the .73 version of this Ultex pick first and liked the feel, especially the sharp tip. Then I tried the 1.14, a thickness I usually stay away from…I LOVE THEM! That sharp point makes my note accuracy jump right up. Nice crisp yet mellow sound. Tone just jumped out of my fingers.

I've been playing .73 Star Picks for a while, and I like them, especially the little punch out for better grip. But they aren't comfortable, the material wears down quickly.

I've been thinking about what my perfect pick would be like, the Ultex fits the bill save one feature...I like the little star punch on the Star Picks. I'm thinking of seeing about getting a punch and making my own out of the Ultex. We'll see. The material that they are made from has a good natural gripping surface but I'll have to wait to see what it's like when playing much longer and getting a little heated/sweaty before I feel like I'll have the grip on them I want.

They are only $2 for 6 at my local store, so I'm going to stock up.

Its amazing how some of the simplest things can change your playing! (of course practicing smart is still the best way to get better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment