Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Monday, January 24, 2011

My Adventures in Effectsville, Part 2

Well, all of you out there that love effects pedals know that a guitarists pedal board is always in a state of flux. G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) is always lurking, ready to inflame our lust for that elusive tone we hear in our hearts and heads!

My board has changed a little since the last posting and is about to change again. Here it is as of now:

But I have since removed the GFS tuner pedal and replaced with a TC Electronic Polytune. At first I was skeptical about the Polytune but after trying one....well, I said "oooh, I have to get me one of those!"

But my board is cram packed and falling off. Plus I have no room to add or move additional pedals in from rotation. depending on what my mood and projects are.



So I went pedal board shopping again. This time I visited and got quotes from some of the best custom board makers. Blackbird Pedal Boards, PumaBoards offer some amazing custom boards that you have have covered in a wide array of materials, AC plugs and 1/4" locking neutrik plugs installed. I was going to have one made to match my Fender Super Sonic 112 amp (vintage rough blonde). Their prices are what you would expect for a custom job and flight cases are extra, a lot extra.

I also looked into the most common production pedal boards by companies like PedalTrain, Radial Engineering and others, as well as the multitude of options on Ebay. But they all suffer from various failings. The Pedal Train boards are good if you use a power supply like a voodoo labs or DC Brick by dunlop, but I don't. Plus their cases are pretty cheap. Radial ToneBone is cool but heck, I can make one just like it in a better size than 35" wide....too big! Plus no case at all! Rondo, ebay, etc. flight style cases are cheap and don't offer power supplies or a place to route cables.

I wanted something that incorporated a powersupply that would run my pedals but also get rid of the heavy line bump 9VAC transformer for the M9 and not have to use wall warts anymore either. I want a way to only have my cable to amp and an AC cable to run, or a loop bay to be able to run certain effects to my effects loop. I want a sturdy case that I can count on to protect my investments when I throw them in the back of the truck. I want a way to run my cables for a clean looking board.

So I ordered an SKB Stage Five. Pretty much the top of the food chain in powered, manufacturer-based production boards. It offers rotomolded construction with a 6" removable cover, complete power conditioning power supplies for a multitude of voltages, independently windings for each circuit to eliminate the 60 cycle hum associated with previous versions, two complete loops for true stereo operation (if you choose), a cable routing channel system under the velcro pedal surface.



This thing is huge. At 29" x 20" in total size, weighing in empty at 22lbs. That's a plus and minus!
The board surface itself, 26" x 13.5", is a bit smaller than what I'd like but the power and loop features hopefully make up for it!

I ordered, after much thought and consternation, last week after talking with Guitar Center customer service about getting a discount. Currently they are not offering any coupons or incentives but they came back, finally, with an offer of $50 regular price with free shipping.

They seem to hold their value, as well. Most used are still going for $200 plus shipping on ebay. Plus GC offers 30 day money back and I can return to the store. Currently it is back ordered, so there will have to be a Part 3 installment of this article when I get it and set it up. Check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment