Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Better Late Than Never!

So, 27 years ago, I was riding home on the bus from school. That day I had made a decision – I was going to ask my Mom if I could take piano lessons! As I got off the bus and walked towards home, I spotted a truck in our drive-way. There were men loading up the piano from our den – my Mom had sold it that day!

Soon after, she took me in to Benton and bought me my first guitar, a red metallic Lotus LP copy from ????? & Loftis on Military Rd. (Can't remember the other guys name). She also signed me up for lessons that day.

But all these years, I really have always been attracted to playing the keys and, over the years, taught myself to play based on my guitar lessons. I had a friend named Buddy that was an amazing piano player that put quite a damper on my playing. He was so good and often made fun of my "guitar player" playing, my choice of keys to play, etc. that I gave up trying.

WELL....Better late than never! Starting March 29, I'm starting those piano lessons. I'm going to be working with Kathy Cooper, a well-known keyboardist in these parts for many years. I spoke with her yesterday about what I want to accomplish and she seems to think it's easily doable... with a little practice, of course!

I want to start by working on my sight and manuscript reading skills, basic scale/key fundamentals (much I know from guitar already), and very specific musical styles/techniques such as Soul, Funk and R&B.

I'm excited and will post back as I progress, hopefully to the point that I can record some audio or video to post. All this is leading up to my hopes of purchasing a Korg SV-1 this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment