Link to website

home about projects portfolio contact

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Lull Between, the Completion of Projects and the Learning Within...

There's a lull between making fun purchases, part of my musical hobby that I really enjoy. I know what you're thinking "man this guy is just all about the acquisitions and not about playing" schtick. Well, save it! I enjoy playing, making music and learning just as much as I am in love with researching, searching and buying new equipment.


I've mainly spent the last few years acquiring the "right" gear. I can afford moderately priced nice models now and am enjoying finally getting that tone and feel that I've been longing for.

Now it's all about finding unique pieces (that i can afford) and getting more of the "right" gear to continue my education.

Thanks to my wife getting me a USB keyboard for xmas a whole new world of gear has re-opened to me. I played keyboards all through the 80's. Every band already had a guitarist and every song coming out seemed to have keyboard parts, so down that rabbit hole I went. It's a much more expensive entry into that hole from guitars, too! I basic starter keyboard back then was $600 and up and a decent 5 octave sampler/synth with polyphony was $1200 and up! Thank goodness for a giving Mom and payment plans!

I geeked out on the keyboards back then but didn't fully learn to play "piano" like I should have. I'm a much better guitarist, actually! But this time around, I have a much broader appreciation for so many styles of music and my ability to learn has grown so much faster since those days. Plus, thanks to the internet, Apple's GarageBand application's music lessons, I'm re-learning how to play and sight read sheet music, as well.

It's a benefit to my playing guitar, as well as a huge improvement to my overall musical abilities!

I've been learning how to play, as cheesy as it is, Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and also some songs by Regina Spektor, Super Tramp "Goodbye Stranger", Squeeze and hoping to visit some of my old favorites from Tom Waits, soul songs with organ and maybe some christmas songs for next season!

So next up is to get some funky organ, or an 80's synth, or maybe an 88 key weighted hammer action style piano that everyone in my family can enjoy. I'll have my G.A.S. eyes open and hope for the $$ in the budget soon!

Oh, and tomorrow, I finally send off my Custom Telecaster Project for paint! Marc Rutters, who milled the body and designed and created the custom bridge in California, will be doing a translucent vintage blonde/Mary Kaye style finish in satin. He's also cutting me a new pick guard from a sheet of pearloid I had laying around. FANCY! I love's me some pearloid!

Pictures will follow in about a month when I get it back and assemble my baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment